EARLY BIRD SPECIAL $250
Until December 19. After December 19 - $280
Comedy and Tragi-comedy in Italian Cinema.
The series of lectures will explore laughter within Italian cinema, as a means to investigate and understand Italian society and its complexity through the camera lens of renowned Italian filmmakers.
Eight Italian films have been selected from the 1950's on.
Starting from the second class, participants will be responsible for viewing the films on their own time, ahead of the following class.
Optional readings will be recommended as the course progresses.
Note: Films are in Italian, with English subtitles.
Films will be available via the Toronto Public Library site on Kanopy or Hoopla, in DVD format to be borrowed by the library, or through other subscription services.
Among the films selected are the following Classics:
- I soliti ignoti - (Big Deal on Madonna Street) - Directed by Mario Monicelli, 1956
- Il sorpasso - (The Easy Life) - Directed by Dino Risi, 1962
- Matrimonio all'italiana - (Marriage Italian Style) - Directed by Vittorio De Sica, 1964
INSTRUCTOR: Maria Laura Mosco
THIS COURSE TAKES PLACE ONLINE
Course begins on January 16, 2023
- 1.5-hour lecture each week for 10 weeks total
- Small virtual group size
- Participants can enjoy a real Italian environment, fostered by the many cultural events organized by the Institute